Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pumpkin update.


I am happy to report that we planted the pumpkins a couple of weeks ago. We ended up starting the seeds in a greenhouse and planting 1500 pumpkin plants. Unfortunately pumpkins are not the only thing growing in our patch, we also have lots of weeds. With a lesson from Grandpa and a hoe for each of the kids they are getting up early and trying to keep the weeds down.

On Monday we were out watering the pumpkins and, Kyler was telling us that there was a bug on the pumpkin plant. McKinley went over to investigate and we soon found out that we are already being attacked by squash bugs. I was off to IFA for spray and Craig to Wal-mart for sprayers and that is why the pumpkin plant looks white. It is just a waiting game now to see who wins, the squash bugs or us.

I hope that the pumpkins are twice this size on the next update.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, I hope you guys win, not the squash bugs. i think it's great how you are teaching your children the value of working. it's a priceless gift your giving them. now if my kids can get in line when they are old enough for you lessons!

Katie said...

I want the biggest baddest pumpkin that you have!! Get rid of those bugs I want mine big!

Mangelson's said...

I drove past the pumpkin patch this morning and saw all the kids. It was amazing.

Shortcake and Company said...

Now I know where Cole gets his mad hoeing skills from. That's too funny. I love that Clint is still a farmer at heart and that it's being passed to your kids.

Nikki Broadhead said...

Wow that is a lot of plants! I hope that you guys do so Good. Good Luck! :)