Monday, June 2, 2008

The first few days out of school

I love to sleep with the windows open this time of year. Now that school is out I have been sleeping in a little longer, and I notice that there was a strange noise that was waking me up in the mornings. As I laid in bed I realized that it was someone spraying the orchards. All of the memories came rushing back from my childhood of living on a farm. I never actually had to spray the orchard but I remember Corey and Craig hating it. Like in this picture you could see a mist of spray surrounding the trees, and I knew that Craig and Corey were in the middle of it.
School has only been out for a couple of days and I am already finding it difficult keeping my kids unplugged from the computer, DS, TV, Wii, ect.. So on Sat. McKinley was asking if she could plug in again, but I had this great idea for her to go help out her Grandpa by mowing the lawn for him. He had to work that day and had plans that night so I thought that she could mow his lawn. You have to remember that we lived with them for 10 month, where I know that she mowed the lawn. She asked a few questions about the riding lawn mower and then she was off. The last words I said to her was if you have a problem come and get me. Well she had a problem. She ran right over the top of one of the sprinklers. Dads sprinkler system is not in the ground and it is not made of plastic. The mower chopped the metal top right in half and broke the pipe that is down in the ground. I wish that I had gotten a picture of the water shooting 6 feet into the air. She said that she did not see it. Now here is where I have to take some of the blame. I really should of taken her over and instructed her a little, but I was just glad that she was not going to be plugged in. So much for helping Grandpa, but he was so understanding and she said that I made her feel worse than he did.


This summer we wanted to have something for the kids to work on and earn a little money (not be plugged in). Here is our soon to be pumpkin patch. We are going to be planting around 5000 pumpkin plants and I hope that we can get at least 10,000 pumpkins. Who knows maybe we won't get even 1 but we are going to give it a try. I hope to bring you pictures in the future of lots of pumpkins.

5 comments:

Katie said...

5000 pumpkins?? I love it! And I cannot believe that Kin was on the riding lawn mower. Every time I think of those I think of Matt's back!!

Shortcake and Company said...

I love this time of year too--from the smells to the cooler temps at night. Wow--5000 pumpkin plants. That is a ton of pumpkins. We got 11 pumpkins off of our 3 plants last year so you should get plenty. It will be fun to see how they grow.

Mangelson's said...

Wow, that is a lot of pumpkins. Let me know if you need an extra hand. MaKady is always looking for things to do.

Unknown said...

What a great idea for the kids. I like Katie was thinking of Matt when you said mcKinley was riding the lawn mower....ouch! I haven't offically gotten out a thank you card, but thanks so much for the gift card. You guys are the best cousins ever!!

Cassie Ercanbrack said...

Tell Kin no worries, I am sure I broke at least 10 sprinklers in my lawn mowing days...and dad was always so good about it. I think he actually enjoyed fixing the sprinkler pipes with me when I break them ;)